Undergraduate Housing

The residence halls are an important focus for campus life outside the classroom, with the University housing over 95 percent of the undergraduate population in residence halls on or near the campus. A trained Residential Programs staff lives with the students in the halls. They work to create an atmosphere conducive to educational pursuits and the development of community among the diverse student body. Throughout the year the Residential Programs staff presents programs in the residence halls and off campus that are both social and educational.

Columbia guarantees housing for all undergraduate students (except transfers) who have filed their intent to reside on campus by the stated deadline and who have continuously registered as full-time students. Each spring, continuing students participate in a room-selection process to select their accommodations for the next academic year. Students who take an unauthorized leave of absence are placed on the non-guaranteed wait list upon their return and are on the wait list for each subsequent year.

A variety of residence hall accommodations are available to Columbia students. Carman, John Jay, Wien, Furnald, McBain, Schapiro, and Broadway Residence Hall are traditional corridor-style residence halls, and all but Wien, John Jay, and Carman have kitchens on each floor. East Campus, 47 Claremont, Hartley-Wallach Living Learning Center, Hogan, River, Ruggles, 600 West 113th Street, Watt, and Woodbridge offer suite-style living, and all have kitchens. All residence hall rooms are either single or double. Single and double rooms are available in all halls except Carman, which has only doubles, and Hogan, which is all singles.

The residence halls are also home to a variety of Special Interest Communities. These communities provide an opportunity for students with a common interest to live together and develop programs in their area of interest. The themes may vary from year to year. The current communities include Casa Latina, Metta House, Pan African House, Community Health House, The Symposium House, and others. First-year students are not eligible to live in Special Interest Communities but are welcome to attend events.

Upper-class Columbia students also have the option of living in certain Barnard College halls. Rooms in Barnard and Columbia halls are chosen by a room selection process, which takes place each spring.

For more information, please visit the housing Web site at www. columbia.edu/cu/housing.

Graduate Housing

Graduate students have a number of housing opportunities in the Morningside Heights neighborhood. The three main sources are University Apartment Housing (UAH), International House, and off-campus listings. UAH operates Columbia-owned apartments and dormitory-style suites in the Morningside area within walking distance of the campus. For further information, see UAH’s Web site at www.columbia.edu/cu/ire. International House, a privately owned student residence near the campus, has accommodations for about five hundred graduate students, both international and American, who attend various area colleges and universities. It provides a supportive and cross-cultural environment with many activities and resources, and it is conveniently located two blocks from the Engineering building. For more information, write or call: International House, 500 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10027; 212-316-8400; or check their Web site at www.ihouse-nyc.org.

There are also a number of off-campus housing opportunities. The University operates Off-Campus Housing Assis-tance (OCHA), which lists rooms and apartments in rental properties not owned or operated by the University. Only students with a valid ID or admission acceptance letter are permitted to use the facility. OCHA is open throughout the winter and summer vacation periods except academic holidays. Students should call 212-854-2773 for office hours. OCHA also operates a Web page at www.columbia.edu/ cu/ire/ocha. There is also a list of alternative housing opportunities maintained by the Office of Graduate Student Services in 524 S. W. Mudd. Students are sent the Alternative Housing flyer in their orientation packets.

UAH applications are sent along with acceptance packets from the Office of Graduate Student Services. They are also available in the Office of Graduate Student Services and the UAH Office. You can also seek additional information on the Columbia Students Page: www.columbia.edu/cu/students. Graduate housing through UAH is processed for the fall and spring terms only. Summer sublets are also available through individual referrals. The UAH Office maintains an active listing for those interested.

Due to the growing demand for housing, graduate housing is no longer guaranteed, but every effort is made to accommodate you. It is critical that you submit your housing application as soon as possible and that you follow the instructions in your acceptance packet. Housing applications received after the set date are not guaranteed housing. The order of priority for selection is: graduate fellowship recipients, Zone 1 students (those who live further than 250 miles from campus), and then Zone 2 students (those who live between fifty and 250 miles from campus). All continuing students and applications from Zone 3 areas (within fifty miles) are automatically placed on a waiting list.

UAH-approved students can begin viewing apartments and moving in during the last week of August for the fall term, and early January for the spring term. Students will be properly notified of Graduate Orientation and Registration, which are generally held the week before the first day of class. If a student needs to move in earlier, proper documentation from the department in support of the request is necessary.

500 W. 120th St., Mudd 510, New York, NY 10027    212-854-2993